How Gaming Benefits Nevada
With 337,700 employees, leisure and hospitality is by far the state’s largest employment sector, accounting for roughly 27.7 percent of the total workforce and 31.5 percent of private employment. In addition, hotel-casinos make up 12 of the 20 largest employers in the state, with seven of the remaining eight sourced to government entities. Notably, only one private employer outside of the hotel-casino industry is included on the top 20 list.
Nevada hotel-casinos pay more wages, salaries and benefits than any other industry in the state. In fiscal year 2014, hotel-casinos in Nevada reported $7.0 billion in payroll expenses. Wages and salaries accounted for roughly 78.5 percent of these direct operating costs, or $5.5 billion. The remaining 21.5 percent was attributed to employee benefits, which totaled $1.5 billion.
In addition, the latest estimates indicate that total benefits paid as a percentage of taxable wages are approximately 10.7 percent for the leisure and hospitality industry. The sector’s share is 2.5 percentage points higher than the national average of 8.2 percent. Also notable, the industry pays more than one-third of all employee health benefits in the state.
When indirect and induced impacts are considered – the secondary employment, wage and economic activity impacts derived from local supplier purchases and employee spending in other sectors of the local economy – Nevada's tourism industry supports an estimated 432,000 jobs paying $16.3 billion in wages and salaries. The total economic impact of the industry is estimated at $52.0 billion.
20 Largest Employers in Nevada
|1||Clark County School District||30,000 - 39,999||Local Government||Clark|
|2||Washoe County School District||8,500 - 8,999||Local Government||Washoe|
|3||Clark County||8,500 - 8,999||Local Government||Clark|
|4||MGM Grand Hotel/Casino||8,000 - 8,499||Private||Clark|
|5||Bellagio||8,000 - 8,499||Private||Clark|
|6||Wynn Las Vegas||8,000 - 8,499||Private||Clark|
|7||Aria Resort & Casino||7,500 - 7,999||Private||Clark|
|8||Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino||7,000 - 7,499||Private||Clark|
|9||Caesars Palace||6,000 - 6,499||Private||Clark|
|10||University of Nevada Las Vegas||5,000 - 5,499||State Government||Clark|
|11||Las Vegas Metropolitan Police||4,500 - 4,999||Local Government||Clark|
|12||The Venetian Casino Resort||4,500 - 4,999||Private||Clark|
|13||The Mirage Casino Hotel||4,500 - 4,999||Private||Clark|
|14||University of Nevada Reno||4,000 - 4,499||State Government||Washoe|
|15||The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas||4,000 - 4,499||Private||Clark|
|16||The Palazzo Casino Resort||3,500 - 3,999||Private||Clark|
|17||University Medical Center||3,500 - 3,999||Local Government||Clark|
|18||Encore Las Vegas||3,000 - 3,499||Private||Clark|
|19||Luxor Hotel and Casino||3,000 - 3,499||Private||Clark|
|20||Southwest Airlines Co.||3,000 - 3,499||Private||Clark|
Source: Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation and Applied Analysis.View full table »